Thursday, October 20, 2011

Who? What? When? Where? How?


Questions in the classroom…. Something I am not use to. When I think back to my years of school, I do not remember many HOT questions. I think they are very important in the classroom. I like for students to figure things out for themselves. Questioning helps students to use their own knowledge of a subject rather than relying on the teacher to give tem the answer. The book mentions that the lowest level questioning make up 70% of all questioning in classrooms, and the HOT questions make up only 30%. This is not what should be going on. We as teachers need to be asking more higher order thinking question and make students think for themselves.
            Pathos, Logos, and Ethos, are things I never thought about until I read the chapter as far as questioning is concerned. After reading them and applying them to questioning in the classroom, it made sense. Using them help the students to question what is being said and analyze what the speaker is talking about.
            Several of the strategies mentioned in the book, were a little ridiculously named to me though, for example, the SQRQCQ. That is a little ridiculous in my opinion well at least the name. The SQRQCQ stands for survey, question, reread, question, compute, and question strategy. The strategy is a good one though, I must say. It will be good to use in the classroom. It will help the students in understanding and give them an opportunity to talk about what is being talked about.

Question: I know this is not a good thing but, I have the hardest time coming up with HOT questions to ask just like we do on this very blog. How do I come up with better questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment