Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Writing to Learn.....

I have never really thought about writing to learn before. It is an interesting concept after you begin thinking about it. I have all ways enjoyed writing but I enjoy writing what I like to write or want to write. I especially have never really thought about incorporating writing into math lesson. I find it fairly easy to incorporate writing into all other subject areas but math is a tricky one. I think that including writing into all areas is very important though. If we give students the opportunity to write things down that they know, like what chapter eight mentions, then it may help open their minds up. It may help them to realize they actually know more than they think. As you write, you may learn more things about yourself as a person. Writing is helpful in teaching in so many different ways and it needs to be utilized more in classrooms. I remember that when I was in school, the only writing I really did was in my English class.
I think that the article we read also brought out some great tips on incorporating writing into the curriculum as far as note taking is concerned.   I am not a structure type note taker and I do not like someone telling me how I should take my notes because they are mine. I do however feel that it is important to show students different ways of taking notes because some students would learn better that way.
Questions:
What would be a good way to help students unwilling to write, begin writing?

Is it better to have creative writing or a topic for students to  write about?

3 comments:

  1. Krystal, I agree with you 100% about writing majority of the time in English. My high school history teacher was the only teacher until college whom challenged me to write outside of my comfort zone, meaning things I like to write about or the normal English topics. It was an experience that I enjoyed and felt proud about because I had to do some research on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krystal, I am right there with you on the comments you made about math. I definitely think that you are right about the possibility of opening a child's mind with writing. Math can be so confusing and I think that writing out what they know can help them name what they don't know. Part of what is scary about math is the unknown. There seems to be so many ways you could be wrong in math that it brings on defeat before you even get started. At least that is how I feel most of the time. But writing what you know helps to get specific and figure out all the missing parts. It makes it more concrete and less scary.

    I think the best way to get a student to write who struggles with writing is to give them purpose. There are so many times that I am given an assignment and I think it is a waste of my time or "busy work". I never want my students to feel like I am giving them busy work. If I give them a writing assignment where they feel like there is a point to it, I think they will be more inclined to do it. I think it is important to let that student know that their ideas are valued and you are really interested in their thinking. If they feel like they are making a contribution, then they are more likely to participate, even if writing isn't their strongest area. Good job on your post! I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto with Roshonda and Rachel, writing in math could be a way to encourage kids to write through what they know. or as an assessment quick write. and I especially appreciate the comment Rachel makes about giving them purpose, answering your question about struggling writers. We had an afterschool program two semesters ago and these kids came in hating writing and we made little business cards after they post on a blog and they began to see themselves as little published writers. the energy just swept through the program, it was pretty exciting for me to see.

    One other comment on your post, when you write something like, "Writing is helpful in teaching in so many different ways and it needs to be utilized more in classrooms," I find myself wanting more detail from you. Helpful in what ways? How? Why do you think? You get the picture. Thanks Krystal, Dr B

    ReplyDelete